We have seen an increase in the number of travelers attempting to claim Per Diem reimbursement in combination with Individual Actual Meals on the same expense report. Travelers must choose to use either the Per Diem or Actuals method for meal expenses on a single trip.
What are the Actuals and Per Diem methods?
- Actuals – The maximum reimbursement for actual meal costs, including tax and tips.
- Each meal expense is added to a Concur expense report under the expense type of Individual actual Meals.
- Receipts are required for expenses over $25.00 out of pocket or over $50.00 if purchased using the UConn travel card.
- The allowable amount is calculated on a daily basis and is not aggregated over the entire period of the trip.
- Per Diem – Daily allowances paid to employees to cover meal costs incurred while on a UConn business trip. The Daily allowance or Meal Per diem is added to the Concur expense report via creation of a
Travel Allowance Itinerary. Travelers using this method would NOT be eligible to use their travel card for individual meal purchases on the same trip.